Portal: transfer data from PC to your Android device
Transferring data between your computer and your phone or tablet might be a long and annoying process, especially if you use USB cable to connect to your PC. A new application called Portal wants to change this and make data transfer much more convenient.
Everything is quick and intuitive and you won’t need any cable at all. All you need is internet connected PC and phone or tablet with Android 5.0 or higher. If you meet these requirements then all you need to do is open a web page portal.pushbullet.com and scan QR code. This will connect your computer and your Android device using Wi-Fi and let you copy your files just by draggin them into a desired folder. Portal should easily handle even files larger than 1GB.
- Transfer individual files, multiple files, or entire folders at once
- Easily browse, open, or share the files you’ve put on your phone
- Pictures transferred with Portal are automatically put into your phone’s Gallery
- Android 5.0 (Lollipop) or later: have Portal save files to your removable SD card!
Download Portal from Play Store.
Alternatives to Portal
Portal isn’t the only or the first wireless file copy application on the market. The most popular alternatives include AirDroid, WiFi File Transfer, ES File Explorer.
AirDroid is one of the most recommended file sharing applications on Android. It has many capabilities beyond a simple file transfer and developers keep adding more features and functionality to this already powerful and polished app. For example, AirMirror lets you control your Android device using mouse and keyboard on your computer. This functionality is very handy if you spend a lot of time in front of your computer but still need to interact with your phone. Replying to SMS messages or notifications is much easier when you don’t even need to take your hands from your keyboard.
Additionally, you can control a camera, play music or videos, manage contacts, photos, and other media files.
Download AirDroid from Play Store.
WiFi File Transfer
Another popular choice is WiFi File Transfer. This application enables you to upload and download files to and from your phone or tablet over a wireless connection using a simple web interface.
- Upload or download multiple files at onceUpload entire folder structures (Google Chrome only)
- Upload entire folder structures (Google Chrome only)Delete, rename, copy, zip or unzip files using the built-in file manager interface
- Delete, rename, copy, zip or unzip files using the built-in file manager interfacePassword authentication (optional)
- Password authentication (optional)Shortcuts to photo, video and music directories
- Shortcuts to photo, video and music directoriesRuns as a background service
- Runs as a background serviceView photos directly in your web browser (integrated thumbnail gallery)
- View photos directly in your web browser (integrated thumbnail gallery)Autostart service when connected to home network (optional)
- Autostart service when connected to home network (optional)
- Provides access to external SD cards and USB storage devices
- Provides access to external SD cards and USB storage devicesWorks while the device is in hotspot mode
- Works while the device is in hotspot mode
WiFi File Transfer is a solid file transfer application that does everything it is supposed to do. The web interface is sadly little dated which may be offputting to some of you.
Download WiFi File Transfer from Play Store.
ES File Explorer
The last recommendation on our list is a very popular ES File Explorer. It is designed as a file explorer and application manager and the remote file transfer functionality is just one of many things it can do.
ES File Explorer can function as a download manager, cloud storage client, task killer, FTP client, and LAN Samba client. It is translated to every major language and supports Android 2.1 and higher. You may also appreciate the built-in ZIP and RAR support. ES File Explorer also has a text viewer and editor in addition to viewers and players for various file types, including photos, music, and videos.
- File Manager – Manage your files like you do on your desktop or laptop using Multiple Select, Cut/Copy/Paste, Move, Create, Delete, Rename, Search, Share, Send, Hide, Create Shortcut, and Bookmark; operations can be performed on local files (on Android device) or remotely (on your computer)
- Application Manager – categorize, uninstall, backup, and create shortcuts to your apps
- Remote File Manager – when enabled, manage files on your phone from your computer
- Built-in ZIP and RAR support allows you to compress and decompress ZIP files, unpack RAR files, and create encrypted (AES 256 bit) ZIP files
- Built-in viewers and players for various file types, including photos, music, and videos; supports third-party applications, such as Quick office, for opening others
- Shows thumbnails for APKs and images
- Text viewers and editors
- Access your home PC via WiFi with SMB
- Functions as your FTP and WebDAV client. Manage files on FTP, FTPS, SFTP, and WebDAV servers just like you manage files on your SD card
- Supports Dropbox, Box.net, Sugarsync, Google Drive (Google Docs is now a part of Google Drive), SkyDrive, Amazon S3, Yandex and more.
ES File Explorer is an enhanced cloud storage client with more functions than the official versions,
it can save photos, videos, and other files to your internet drives and share them with others.
- Bluetooth file browser You can copy and paste files between Bluetooth ready devices. It supports OBEX FTP for browsing devices and transferring files between Bluetooth devices.
- Kill tasks with a single click, increase memory and speed up your device — includes a simple widget that stays on your home screen for knowing your current RAM situation and automatically killing tasks, with an ignore list to ignore the applications you want to keep running.Task Manager module required
- Cache Cleaner and Autostart manager — Delete those junk files that take up valuable storage space.Task Manager module required.
- Root Explorer — the ultimate set of file management tools for root users. Provides access to the entire file system and all data directories, and allows the user to change permissions.
ES File Explorer is truly a powerhouse that can replace many individual applications.
Download ES File Explorer from Play Store.